Sunday, December 16, 2012


Yes,  hate...a strong emotion, a powerful force...and they say that most critics are just failed artists gone sour on art, desperately seeking revenge for their own shortcomings by directing ridicule at the work of others, these sad creatures being fed not by the light of love and creation, but by the dark and destructive energies of hate and envy...

But not so here at Plopish!, I myself do present our readers with insightful criticism of select masterpieces from the realms of Comicopia but today I also offer for your scrutinizing eyes, my own early cartoon work!

Yes, the above rendering is a scan of a quite talented little piece I did back in 1984, when I was a mere lad of eighteen. The inspirational sources are perhaps a little bit too obvious in this piece, but I command the readers to please remember that this is from the hand of a very young artist, not yet fully matured. At first glance we can definitely detect some Jack Kirby (dynamic "action" physique), Wallace "Wally" Wood (dramatic close-ups), classic Manga (intricate balancing of blacks and whites) Harvey Pekar (autobiographical, "self-exposing" narrative) and of course many others,

The story, is as simple and straightforward as a Haiku poem, the main (and only) character simply "hates summer" (cleverly used as the title) because the sunlight makes the dust particles collecting on his furniture, more visible...

Pretty darn brilliant I'd say!  and one can only lament that my decision to pursue a career in fine art prevented me from further investigations into the possibilities of the graphic novel form, considering such promising beginnings...."but that's another story" as they say...

To be continued





No comments:

Post a Comment